Prom Beauty, Makeup & Fashion Tips
Prom night is near and what better way to celebrate spring than a formal dinner and dance with a stunning, flirty dress? Whether you have a date or you're going solo, prom is your night to glow with your own glamour and unique style.
This year's formal fashion trends are a mixture of pop star trends and simple elegance. Play up your diva factor with a flattering color and style that will make you feel like a "hot" Cinderella at the ball.
You don't want to look like a plain Jane at the dance, so try out some new makeup in the days leading up to your prom. There's some fantastic new eye shadows and lip colors available with the staying power you will need for a long, fun-packed evening.
- Consider having your makeup applied professionally. Schedule a trial run to avoid nasty surprises.
- Exfoliate your skin and follow with a gentle toner.
- Find a foundation for your skin type and with the closest match to your skin tone. Avoid embarrassing lines and variations by blending it into your neck and hair line.
- Curl your lashes with an eyelash curler to make them appear longer.
- If your lashes are lacking, try false eyelashes. They're easier to apply than you may think and you don't have to use them all-around. Try cutting strips or using individual lashes to fill in sparse areas. Check out our easy guide for applying false eyelashes.
- Brown / black mascara flatters most skin tones and hair colors. Prom is an emotional event so opt for waterproof. Bring some tissues just in case.
- For better pictures, use loose translucent powder on your face to cut down on your "shine" factor., especially if you have oily skin. Take along a compact of pressed powder for some quick touch-ups.
- Crème eye shadow has a tendency to crease, so stick with powder shadows for the long haul.
- Lipstick or lip gloss. Whatever you choose, take your tube with for more applications.
Dress and Fashion Tips
Fashion means image, so portray yourself with a style you are comfortable with. Trendy is hot, but classic never goes out of style. You're better off choosing a dress style that flatters your shape and matches your personality. Accessorize with fine jewelry, an elegant handbag, and a shawl for chilly nights.
- Your dress doesn't have to reach your shoes, but the longer the length, the more formal it will look.
- Keep your handbag mid-sized. Too small or too large can make you appear larger or out of proportion.
- Wear jewelry. Keep it elegant and simple and stay away from prongs and edges that can snag your dress or pantyhose.
- Buy shoes that are stylish and comfortable. This will prevent kicking off your shoes for dancing because your feet ache.
- If your prom dress has gold accents, consider wearing gold strappy sandals and carry along a small, gold handbag for a trendy, glamorous look.
- After prom, check out second-hand shops and thrift stores. You can find some real bargains on dresses and full-length gowns that were worn only once. Many high school seniors take in their formalwear before they head off to college in the Fall.