Haircut & Hairstyle Tips
A practical or trendy hairstyle doesn't have to be high-maintenance, and you don't have to spend hours styling it. If you can remedy those unpleasant problems that happen to hair, you're one step closer to healthy, gorgeous tresses. Learn to train and manipulate your hair to do just what you want it to do with our cut and styling tips to make even the most unmanageable mane tame and easy to fix.
- Trim your hair on a regular basis (every 6-8 weeks) to avoid split ends and fly-aways.
- If the ends of your hair (and layers) are getting fuzzy, you're overdue for a trim.
- When growing out a bad haircut, utilize accessories, bandanas and hats to your advantage. Make sure you keep it trimmed properly when it's growing out.
- Communicate well with your stylist. Tell him/her exactly what you want every time and don't assume they remember how they cut your hair last time.
- Don't walk into a salon and tell your stylist that you want a change, or you just want it short. Cut out a few pictures from magazines to let them know what you want. They can tell you if the cut and style isn't right for you.
- If you want to cut your long hair short, try doing it gradually to avoid major changes.
- Wear bangs (fringes) to cover flaws, fine lines and wrinkles in your forehead.
- If your hair is long, coarse and frizzy, opt for long layers to remove extra bulk.
- The best stylist is one who treats you with respect and styles your hair the way you want it.
- Don't be afraid to ask for a referral from someone with a great hair cut and style.
- Choose a hairstyle according to your face shape and the texture of your hair. What looks good on one person can be disastrous on another.
- To straighten hair, use lots of mousse or hair gel and blow dry straight.
- Wear a button up shirt to get your special style. This way you don't have to mess up your hair when you change clothes.
- In the summer, keep it simple. The more fluff and bounce you have, the more likely you are to have frizz and fly-aways later on.
- Always take along hair accessories like pony tail holders and barrettes in case your style flops when you least expect it.
- After washing your hair, add some mousse to the roots and blow dry upside down for volume.
- For special occasions, don't pick a style that you're not accustomed to. You can choose a style you're comfortable with. Just make small changes or add accessories.
- Keep your updos loose and sexy, it looks more natural.
- Experiment with your part to find the most flattering location.
- To avoid scorching, never use a curling iron on damp hair.
- For a tousled style the next day, wash hair the night before and put it up in a messy bun. In the morning, take it down and finger comb.
- Long or short? That depends on two things. How you look in long or short hair and the amount of time you're willing to spend styling it.